Do you feel like you are always sick? Do you eventually get over one cold just to have another one start a month later? This is common, with lots of people suffering recurrent upper respiratory tract infections, flus, ear infections just to name a few. This pattern may indicate a decrease in your immune function. This post should give you some ideas on how to boost your immune system to kick these recurrent infections to the kerb!
What can lower your immune system?
- Factors such as stress, lack of regular exercise, inadequate sleep, poor nutrition and excessive use of antibiotics all have the potential to decrease your immune system.
What can you do to boost your immune system?
- You can help support a healthy immunity through diet and lifestyle changes
- Rest is key! Ensure you get a good nights sleep and let your body do its thing, its surprising how effective it can be when its given proper rest.
- Eat plenty of fresh vegetables & fruits. These foods are rich with supportive vitamins and minerals including vitamin C and zinc which help your immune system thrive.
- Garlic & ginger. Garlic is a broad-spectrum antimicrobial source while ginger helps fend off infection and inflammation.
- Drink water! When you get sick, fluids are often lost through a runny nose, couching and sweating so its important to stay hydrated.
- Unwind. Although it might be hard, its important to try and reduce your stress. Try deep breathing, yoga or medication to relax.
- Vitamins & minerals. Stock up on your vitamin C and zinc. Zinc helps infection-fighting white blood cells destroy viral and bacterial infections.
If you found this interesting and want to know more about how you can make some healthy changes to support your body call and book an appointment with our Naturopath, Katie!