Osteopathy for kids is a important muscle and joint field with emphasis on the growing human with specific areas of expertise required.
Lauren & Kirsty have a particular interest in helping babies with the mechanics of breastfeeding; and helping toddlers and children with chewing and oral motor habits/concerns such as thumbsucking, Craniofacial growth and development. They work closely with children undergoing orthodontic therapy and speech therapy too.
Breathing mechanics, and healthy movement & posture patterns are also areas Lauren, Kirsty and Sally are keen to assist children with to help them be the best they can be.
Both Kirsty, Lauren have considerable experience in Osteopathy, having graduated from Victoria University in 2004 and 2000 respectively.
Ongoing study in the paediatric and infant feeding space is undertaken annually to provide you with the most up-to-date knowledge and care possible.
Osteopathy for Infants, Children & Teens
Osteopaths with a focus on paediatrics see:
- Families seeking information on normal growth and development of babies
- Babies needing assistance after birth
- Children needing rehabilitation after injury or post- surgery
- Children with chronic conditions, other physical impairments, or difficulties relating to their growth, development, postures or movement
An assessment performed by an osteopath with a focus on paediatrics may include the following clinical components:
- Discussion of your child’s case history to assist with diagnosis and understanding. This involves an obstetric and birth history for babies
- Screening for impediments in movement, coordination, and balance. Osteopaths with a
focus on paediatrics use physical , orthopaedic , neurological  and functional  tests designed for children to identify issues in developmental, age-specific milestones
Osteopaths with a focus on paediatrics may also design programs around the needs of a baby, infant, child or family incorporating child-focused clinical advice, aerobic and strengths training, prescription of age-appropriate activities, aids or toys that aim to encourage and maintain age-appropriate movement and functional skill.
Osteopaths with a focus on paediatrics regularly give referrals to and work with medical practitioners, paediatricians, maternal and child health nurses, occupational therapists, speech pathologists, psychologists and other professionals in meeting the needs of babies, infants, children and their families.
- Physical tests are used to assess anatomy and range of motion in regions of the body.
- Orthopaedic tests are used to assess joint function and joint abnormalities.
- Neurological tests are used to assess the function of the nervous system.
- Functional tests are used to assess movement patterns and patient capacity to perform various activities
Bookings are currently available with our Paediatric Osteopaths Lauren Boundy is available on Tuesdays and Dr Sally is available on Tuesdays for consulting in Lilydale.